Saturday, August 9, 2008

Knock, Knock........

Ok, there is a story here.....ready?? My sister's cottage is under construction on the inside right now, so while I was there last week, there was only one bathroom and it didn't have a door. They had a sheet hanging for privacy (if you want to call it that! LOL) but when you wanted to go in, you had to just say "knock, knock" to see if anyone was in there. So of course, that led to knock, knock jokes....and to be honest with you, I am a terrible joke teller and story teller....so I had a couple reliable ones that I never forgot as a kid, and used those until they got sick of them. Well, my youngest niece Hailey, loved the jokes and wanted more. I kept retelling the same ones..... ugh!!! For the LIFE of me, I couldn't think of any others!! So....on our way home, I planned this book in my mind, to send to them, to hang in their bathroom, so they had a ready supply of Knock, Knock jokes! There were 20 pages, so they have 20 jokes. It was a LOT of work, but well worth it!!

The pages are coasters I "borrowed" from a restaurant (had to cover up the Coors Light logo though), covered them with DP, sanded down all the edges and corners then attached the jokes and stamps. I punched holes in all of them with my Crop-o-dile and used a binder ring to keep them all together. The DP is ALL from the Frutti Fusion pack from The Angel Company - I wanted it to coordinate, but didn't want it too girly or too boyish! I love the bright colours of this paper!
The first page used the Owl set from Simon Says Stamp (owl & sentiment). The owl is popped up and sitting on a piece of twine.
Here are a few pages to give you the "jist" of the inner pages. I just searched Knock Knock jokes on Google and got THOUSANDS! I used stamps, stickers, die cuts...whatever I could find that sort of corresponded with the joke!

I used my Marvy punches to punch the circles too.


The dragonfly is a punch! Sort of resembles a mosquito! LOl


Here's a few more!


I love this little old lady stamp (Gina K)

This is the last page of their book!


I made another smaller version for my Simon Says Design Team. This one uses just the owls from the Owl Knock Knock set. Same DP (TAC), same idea, fewer pages! These are very time consuming - and it destroyed more than HALF of my SU sanding block...LOL






Heidi, when you get this, and if you decide to photograph it for your gallery, I would like you to keep it for Jaxon ok?? :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! That is awesome. What a great thing to do! Love it Chris!

:) Marcia

Deb said...

fantastic story and such a fabulous book, just love it!

AmethystCat said...

oh my gosh - that is sooooo cute!!! great knock knock books, Chris!!!

Jane said...

How funny! I'm sure they'll laugh their butts off when they get the book (and for many years to come as it'll remind them of the time and the reason for the book).

I made a coaster book today (for a Design Team project). I didn't sand the corners. First I used an ink pad and did DTP on the edges and slightly up the front/back of the coaster. Then I cut the paper 4x4 and then used a corner rounder on it. Then I used an ink pad on the edges of the paper.

Not sure that's any easier than your sanding...but it'd save you the cost of the poor sanding block!

Jane
SBS4

Kelly L said...

These are SO cute, Chris, and I am sure your niece, Hailey will LOVE it!! It will definitely be a keepeer.

:) Kel

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Oh my Chris! I am so thrilled with your work that I don't know what to say. You got skillz girl! You breathe life into our little owls! Check out our blog today, you are the feature!

Anonymous said...

This is soooo adorable!
Going through your blog is like opening a present - one finds lovely surprises in there!

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Love the knock knock jokes! And your pages are awesome!

Blog Archive