Sunday, January 18, 2009

I need the Dog Whisperer!!!

Ok, seriously, I do! I know some of you have heard me rant about the antics of my dog but it is getting OUT of control. Quick background of Brick: We got him at the City Pound about 5 years ago, so he is about 6 or 7 years old. We tried crating him but he busted out of the top of the line crates, so that was a no go. He is VERY claustrophobic. He locked himself in our bathroom one year, and totally tore it apart - we had to redo the floor, the walls, the cabinets, the shower curtain and the toilet seat. It was a disaster - $500 later, we buy a spongy thing for the door so it doesn't close all the way, called a "tail saver" - we call it the "bathroom saver". He is also very needy and has severe separation anxiety. He is also very dominant. He is high energy which is why we walk him 2-3 times a day. He is also very fun, very loving, and very cute!! Which is why he he is still around after everything he does. We have to lock our fridge - yes, I said fridge!! On numerous occasions, he has opened the fridge and eaten everything in sight....sandwich meat, a whole cooked chicken, sour cream, a whole stick of butter, raw sausages, yogurt, cat food, etc. We bought a child proof lock for it, and after awhile he figured out how to open it. Now we have a "buckle" type lock & that seems to work - it is just a hassle to remember to clip it before I go to work! These are just some of the things he does. The issue I think that has me so "blue" lately, is his peeing on the floor in the living room. We just put down laminate flooring a year ago and we are worried he is going to ruin it. We live across the street from a bike path and green space where lots of people walk their dogs & I think HE thinks that it is HIS park, so he pees in the house. It is usually the same place. This doesn't happen every day - maybe once every 2 weeks. But Friday's pee really got Tim's goat - he was MAD!!! We are at our wit's end - not sure what to do. We can't lock him up in a room, we can't crate him, and we can't leave him outside (he will jump the fence faster than we can get to the car - we've tried that too!) We put on the radio for him, we give him a treat filled Kong before we go, and we ignore him as we are getting ready to leave so he doesn't get excited or freaked out. We have done TONS of research on this, and have tried all sorts of different things. He is a big dog - 70 lbs. and we can't really afford to put him in Doggy Daycare every day - but maybe we could try him 2 or 3 times a week. And, apart from blacking out our front windows, we have NO ideas!!! So, I turn to you guys - anyone have any experience with this sort of thing, or know of a good dog psychologist/trainer, besides Cesar Milan (cuz I doubt we could afford him either!!!) lol Any tips or pointers would be appreciated!!!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!! It is Sunday, so hopefully I can get some crafting done! Tim is going fishing!!!

EDITED TO ADD: After reading a few comments here, I did email Cesar Millan and got a reply back saying he is not taking any more clients, nor is he doing any phone or internet consultations and that I should read his books or contact someone in my area. So I might do that!!! And he is only looking for auditions in Southern California! hmphh!! Thanks for the encouragement!!! :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is the perfect tv show for the whisperer. It certainly doesn't cost anything to ask. And a dog that get in the refrigerator certainly is going to be tv news and advertisement. Call him

Dee said...

Hi! I have a blk lab who did the same thing in my guest bath but he made a new door right through the wall. He also cracked several pieces of floor tile with the toilet tank lid! You can join www.dogster.com and there are tons of groups to chat with for free. Also, Cesar Milan is a member, you could request to be his puppy pal and chat with him via email!! Good Luck! dee =)

Unknown said...

If you don't ask, you don't get.
Copy your post to Cesar Milan!
What harm can it do! The best of luck, sounds as though you need it.
It's tough. Viv xx

Allison Rankin said...

Hi there! I have a friend from high school that produces a show here in Calgary called End of My Leash (http://www.endofmyleash.com/). They may be worth a try (even though it seems to be a lot of "tough love").

Jan Scholl said...

I think my dog is your dog's long lost child. That dent in my wall is me banging my head. We tried the dog whisperer books and nothing has worked. hopefully, as my dog is only 2, he will outgrow some of it. But the peeing on my rubber stamps and scrap supplies almost did me in.

Unknown said...

Google another 'Whisperer'.
HE can't be the only one! Just one who's managed to make himself famous. Good luck and keep us posted. Viv xx

Tracy said...

Hugs to you, Tim and Brick! Poor puppy!

Marcia @ Pretty Things said...

Oh my. I don't know what else I can offer, but I wonder whether he is doing the wee thing as a way of showing dominance, like you say, this is his space and he is making it so. I know with our dog his way of showing dominance is to jump at my chest height (yes me and only me, no one else in the family) ... but I have heard of dogs weeing to mark their space. Perhaps banning him from that space for a period of time. I also know vets can medicate for extreme anxiety etc - might be worth getting him checked to make sure it isn't a medical thing. How annoying and worrying. You poor things.

:) Marcia

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Oh Chris,
I have a Boston "Simon" as you know ;) And he has a nasty habit of peeing in our closet and our dining room. Nothing nothing we have ever done stops him. He will go outside to go potty..and it's like he saves some up..and then goes right on the dining room floor as soon as he trods back into the house. The only thing I know...gross as it is...is to just get rid of the carpet and go with laminate....someday....GROSS I KNOW! I am sorry though, my heart bleeds for you, Tim, and Brick!
-Heidi

AmethystCat said...

bless your heart! I have no ideas but it sounds like you've got some good ones after reading through your comments. Good luck!

Charlene Austin said...

Hi Chris....I have no advice I am sorry but I just wanted to say I do not recommend End of My Leash. I think I told you my cousin and his wife were on that show and they said it was the worst experience of their life. They and the dogs were treated horribly and the editing made them seem like they were having marital issues just because the dog sleeps in the bed. Awful.

Blog Archive