I made this card for my Daddy, who was a mechanic (he's retired now!) He used to come home and his work boots, clothes and hands would be so greasy, I can still smell it to this day!!! I wanted to "dirty" it up a bit so I crumpled the image and used Walnut Ink to distress it. I distressed the edges of the white and Close to Cocoa with my Heidi Swapp Edge Distressor (scissors work just as well though!) I coloured the puppy with Gamsol (OMS) and prisma's. I used some scrap leather string I had for "man ribbon" (LOL) and attached it to the faux suede background. That is then layered on Close to Cocoa and then on Chocolate Chip. The image is from a SU set called For Father. The sentiment is from A little birdie told me (SU). Now, for the technique!!! FAUX SUEDE - so fun, so easy and the texture IRL is amazingly "REAL"!!! The photo doesn't do it justice so TRY this technique & you'll see for yourself!!
What you need:
wax paper, a brayer, liquid applique (I used brown here but I have all sorts of colours), heat gun, cardstock cut to size that you want to be "suede" (I used Vanilla), scrap paper to lay down to protect your work surface
What to do:
1. squirt some liquid applique (LA) on the wax paper (be generous)
2. roll your brayer in the LA & get it nice and covered
3. place cardstock piece on scrap paper and roll brayer onto cardstock covering it all up - it doesn't have to be evenly distributed just cover all the paper; add more if you need it; make sure there are no big "globs" or they will puff up and you want this fairly flat
4. Using your heat gun, heat up the LA - you will see the colour change when it is "done"
5. FEEL the texture - it is glorious!!! I LOVE this technique!!!
6. You can stamp right on the LA if you want or use it as a background base
That's it....easy eh?? Let me know if you try this - I'd love to see what you come up with!! There are lots of other great ideas in the SCS gallery if you want to check them out - I just did a search for Faux Suede and got pages of cards!!! HAVE FUN!!!!!